Let's look at a few tricks to recover highlight detail information in video:
- suppose you filmed your footage in a camera raw format (such as Black Magic braw). In that case, there's a good chance to recover a certain degree of highlight detail by checking the highlight recovery option in the camera raw panel in DaVinci Resolve.
- lower the global exposure using the offset master wheel in Resolve, and compensate with the lift and gamma master wheels to lighten the shadows if they got too dark.
- use the highlights control (negative values) to make a selective retrieval of highlight detail with a smooth and natural transition to mid-tones.
- with the high soft slider, you can set the highlight clipping threshold with a compressed and softer result rather than a hard-clipped ceiling.
- use these recovery techniques in the early stages of the color adjustments so you have access to the source's full tonal range.